Fatal Motorcycle Accidents In Pennsylvania
August 23, 2021
A recent fatal motorcycle accident on the Pennsylvania Turnpike serves as a powerful reminder of the risks riders face every day on the road. That’s why it’s important for motorcyclists to understand why accidents happen and what they can do to stay safe and protect their rights.
According to TPM News and The Associated Press, the fatal motorcycle crash on the Pennsylvania Turnpike took place in Chester County. State police are investigating the crash, in which a motorcyclist was killed at night and dragged along the turnpike for several miles by another vehicle.
State police say they are not sure how the motorcycle accident happened, and the driver operating the vehicle is cooperating with investigators.
Pennsylvania motorcycle crashes
Each year, more than 5,000 people on average each year die in motorcycle accidents, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). That’s one fatality every 1 hour and 45 minutes of every day.
As for Pennsylvania, motorcycle accidents and fatalities remain a serious problem as well. In the past 5 years, an average of 179 motorcycle fatalities occurred every year in the state, according to NHTSA accident statistics. Roughly half of those deaths each year involved unhelmeted motorcyclists. Under Pennsylvania law, it is not mandatory for riders older than 21 to wear a helmet if they have completed the state’s motorcycle safety course or have at least 2 years of riding experience.
What are common causes of motorcycle wrecks?
Often, motorcyclists get blamed for causing crashes involving other vehicles. But the reality is other drivers cause more motorcycle accidents due to negligence, which can include:
- Drivers not looking before turning or changing lanes (especially when making a left turn)
- Aggressive drivers who tailgate or follow too closely
- Speeding drivers who don’t have time to slow down and avoid a collision
- Texting drivers who are not aware of their surroundings
- Drunk drivers who are too impaired to safely operate a motor vehicle
- Tired and fatigued drivers who doze off or fall asleep at the wheel
Every motorcycle accident is different. That’s why it’s critical to talk to an attorney if you were injured or a loved one died in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else.
How a motorcycle accident lawyer can help
Our motorcycle accident attorneys know how to fight for the compensation our clients deserve. As your lawyer, we can investigate your crash, gather and preserve evidence, retain experts, track down eyewitnesses, and serve as a barrier between you and the insurance company so you can focus on what matters most—recovering from your accident.
Don’t let an insurance adjuster purposefully delay, downplay, or deny your claim for no good reason. Let our law firm aggressively advocate for your best interests and fight for every dollar you deserve.
Learn more about how our dedicated legal team can help you. Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation at one of our three offices in the greater Philadelphia area. We have offices in downtown Philadelphia, Conshohocken, and Marlton, New Jersey, and we proudly represent injured motorcyclists throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- "Want to thank all of you once again not only for your professional services but your friendship and feeling like family through all of these past four years as we fought to rebuild Stefanie's life. I could not have made a better choice for helping us through this ordeal."
- "They are all very helpful, caring and they do everything to try to make sure you as a client are OK and get you what you deserve. I would recommend them to anyone. They are a great law firm."
- "I will happily be recommending your firm to anyone who may need your help in the future because of Jen, Eric and Brian."