Holiday Driving Auto Accident Risks In Philadelphia: Our Attorneys Discuss
December 12, 2018
The holidays are approaching and many people in greater Philadelphia will be celebrating and traveling. However, the likelihood of being involved in an auto accident increases this time of year.
The roadway risks aren’t just associated with the shorter days and increase in winter-weather conditions. It’s the risky behavior many drivers engage in around the holidays.
If someone else’s recklessness caused your accident, it’s crucial to speak to an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible.
Risky holiday driving behavior
According to EHS Today, there are four dangerous driving habits you may encounter from other motorists during the holiday season. They include:
- Distracted driving: During this time of year, drivers have a more going on than usual and may be apt to multitasking behind the wheel. This includes talking and texting with loved ones or browsing store hours on their handheld devices.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol consumption is very common at holiday and end-of-year celebrations. Unfortunately, many impaired drivers slip under the radar of law enforcement, putting other road users’ lives at risk.
- Pressured driving: When drivers are in a hurry, they are more likely to engage in risky behavior. This includes, but is not limited to: running red lights, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, and speeding.
- Fatigued driving: During the holiday season, people might stay up later than usual for parties or shopping, while maintaining a normal daily schedule. This means one thing: less sleep. A study by AAA concludes that people who slept 6-7 hours a night are twice as likely to be involved in a crash as those who slept 8 hours or more.
These habits and more may explain why Christmas and New Year’s experienced significantly more fatalities than the daily national average between 2011 and 2015. While these two holidays ranked relatively low in comparison with Memorial Day and Labor Day, they are still more dangerous than your average day on the road.
Injured in a crash during the holidays? We can help!
An auto accident can put a damper in your ability to enjoy the holidays. Your injuries may be serious enough to keep you from celebrating with friends and family. Your medical expenses and lost wages may put a financial and emotion strain on your life.
That’s why you need a highly skilled auto accident attorney fighting for you every step of the way. The legal team at Villari, Giannone and Matteo will investigate the cause of your crash and work tirelessly to recovery every penny you are entitled to. Contact us today to learn how we can help.
- "Want to thank all of you once again not only for your professional services but your friendship and feeling like family through all of these past four years as we fought to rebuild Stefanie's life. I could not have made a better choice for helping us through this ordeal."
- "They are all very helpful, caring and they do everything to try to make sure you as a client are OK and get you what you deserve. I would recommend them to anyone. They are a great law firm."
- "I will happily be recommending your firm to anyone who may need your help in the future because of Jen, Eric and Brian."