Types Of Accidents That Occur In Parking Lots
October 16, 2020
Parking lot injuries are very common and studies underscore the risks. One found that 30 percent of all pedestrian accidents happen in parking lots. Another found that elderly drivers were 17 times more likely to cause a crash in a parking lot than on a road.
Pedestrians have no protection, even against a slow-moving vehicle, so they suffer major injuries. Among them are:
- Broken and crushed bones
- Spinal cord, neck and back injuries
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- Neck and back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Post-traumatic disorders
Who is at fault for causing your parking lot injuries?
While careless pedestrians sometimes walk into a vehicle’s path, motorists generally are responsible for most parking lot accidents. Often as a result of recklessness, they fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians. Drivers are at fault when:
- Engaging in distracted driving. They are paying more attention to their smartphone conversation, texting or adjusting instrument controls than to the pedestrians around them.
- Pushing the wrong pedal. Maneuvering through a parking lot is a constant start-and-stop process. As a result, drivers sometimes hit the gas pedal instead of the brake.
- Searching for a parking space. Pedestrians are less visible than vehicles, causing drivers anxious about finding a parking space to focus more on their tasks than on vulnerable walkers.
- Not looking before backing up. Small children often are victims of parking lot accidents because drivers fail to carefully view their entire surroundings.
How do you hold someone responsible for your injuries?
Accountability for a parking lot accident often comes down to your word against the motorist who hit you. It’s unlikely that the driver is going to admit any fault. In fact, it is more likely that they will claim you are to blame. Because you may be suffering from major injuries, you may find it difficult to defend yourself. On top of that, you may be out of work and unable to support your family while the medical bills pile up. You are under tremendous mental and emotional strain. Adding to your stress, an insurance company will try to convince you to accept a financial settlement that is far below what you need because they know you are desperate for money.
The personal injury lawyers at Villari, Brandes & Giannone have extensive experience handling cases like yours in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and Marlton, New Jersey. We will aggressively hold the person responsible for your injuries accountable, assuring both justice and a fair financial settlement for you and your family while treating you with the compassion that you deserve. Our law firm works on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless we win your case. Contact us today for a free consultation.
- "Want to thank all of you once again not only for your professional services but your friendship and feeling like family through all of these past four years as we fought to rebuild Stefanie's life. I could not have made a better choice for helping us through this ordeal."
- "They are all very helpful, caring and they do everything to try to make sure you as a client are OK and get you what you deserve. I would recommend them to anyone. They are a great law firm."
- "I will happily be recommending your firm to anyone who may need your help in the future because of Jen, Eric and Brian."